Services provided by the Department:
- Hemodialysis Unit in St. John’s Hospital is one of the biggest units in Karnataka. We are doing approximate 3400 dialysis per day. We have state of art 42 hemodialysis machines. We also have round the clock special dialysis going on in ICU like SLED, CRRT and plasmapheresis. We are the only centre in Karnataka offering maintenance hemodialysis to HIV infected patients. We have one patient who is on hemodialysis for last 23 years (longest surviving patient on hemodialysis).
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
- We are having highest number of CAPD patients in Karnataka around 60. We have 2 dedicated nurses and one CAPD Coordinator for services of CAPD patients. They do counselling, training, PET test and they are available 24x7 on phone for any clarification. We run special CAPD OPD on 2nd Wednesday of every month. Our peritonitis rate is very low. CAPD catheter insertions are done by our Surgeon – Dr. Sridhar Govindaraj, Professor of Surgery and he is available in the OPD on Mondays / Tuesdays & Saturdays.
- Renal Transplantation
- We have Dr. Suryakant Choubey and Dr. A. Nagaraj Rao both are grade I Professors in Urology as Transplant Surgeons. We are doing both live related and cadaver transplant approximately 15-20 per year. We have Mrs. Roopa R. Hiremath as Transplant Coordinator, who is involved in counselling both pre and post transplant as well as legal aspects of renal transplantation. She is the key person for creating support group for renal transplant patients. We are running transplant OPD along with Urology every Saturdays in Room No. 10, Silver Jubilee OPD between 11 a.m. and 2.p.m.
- We have Dr. Bhavana S., specialized in Renal Nutrition, who provides nutrition services to all renal ailments – patients on conservative management, hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and renal transplantation. She is very keen in research and has been involved as Clinical Research Coordinator for 18 multi-national trials conducted in the department. She has 17 paper presentations at National and International Conferences and 3 publications to her credit. She is instrumental in analogue menu app for CKD patients in collaboration with pharmaceutical company.
- Vascular Access
- Vascular access procedures are done by Dr. Sunder, Grade II Professor of Plastic Surgery and Dr. Suryakant Choubey, Grade I Professor of Urology. Vascular Clinic is on every Wednesday from 9.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in room no. 7 in old OPD block.
- Temporary Vascular Access
- We are doing around 72 vascular accesses per month. All Nephrology procedures are done in state of art procedure room in 4th floor.
- We have 100% bed occupancy. Our inpatient number including Nephrology ITU / Transplant ICU / Common ward and Private ward at any given time is around 60.
- Renal Biopsy
- We are doing 350 renal biopsies on an average in a year. We have our own USG machine and we do USG guided biopsy using Bard disposable / Bard gun.