Services - Clinical Biochemistry
The Department of Biochemistry has existed since the inception of the medical college in 1963.
There are 11 teaching and 8 non teaching staff in the department currently. Dr Kalyankar was the first Head of the department. Since then, Dr Virupaksha, Dr T Venkatesh, Dr Sheila Uthappa, Dr Sultana Furruqh, Dr Anita R Bijoor and Dr Anitha Devanath have headed the department. Each and every one of them has taken the department to greater heights during their tenure. Dr Anita R Bijoor is the current Head of the department.
The Biochemistry department has 2 main activities: Teaching and Diagnostic services. We teach almost 450 students in MBBS and AHS streams together. We also runs a 24hr diagnostic clinical laboratory in the hospital. We have state of the art equipment and automation to ease and expedite the processing of samples. We receive about 1500 samples in a day which are processed round the clock with a very good turn around time. We are also actively involved in research activities and have various ongoing funded projects. We also encourage UG research activities and have been involved in mentorship activities.