The Department of Pathology and Microbiology was initiated in 1966, fifty-one years ago by Prof. SN Kothare and Dr. John A Thomas. The Department functions to provide excellence in teaching, diagnostic services and research and is well recognised for its innovative approach towards providing accurate and timely diagnostic services in all facets of surgical & anatomic pathology and cytology to patients from Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
The department core strengths are:
The availability of superspeciality services under one roof.
Regular multidisciplinary team meetings held all through the month.
It is a referral centre for Hirschsprung disease diagnosis.
Apart from academic excellence, the Department aims to strengthen molecular pathology with trained man power, to enhance the efficiency of subspecialty branches under Pathology and also strives towards becoming a collaborative high impact research facility.
Ours is a NABL accredited laboratory since 2006. The Surgical Pathology Service provides complete diagnostic services in adult and paediatric Surgical Pathology. Approximately 13,000 surgical specimens originating from the St. John’s Medical College Hospital and other referring hospitals are accessioned yearly. Other services include
- Frozen Sections for rapid diagnosis including intra-operative consultations
- Cytopathology service provides a full range of cytology services, including exfoliative cytology and the performance of fine needle aspiration under guidance or freehand.
- Clinical Autopsy services
- Immunological serology tests for ANA, dsDNA, ANCA, Immunoline, Liver profile, Liver blot, Derm mosaic, APLA2R
- Immunofluorescence on renal and skin biopsies
- Immunohistochemistry with a panel of about 100 antibodies.
- Enzyme histochemistry studies for diagnosis of Hirschsprung’s disease.
The laboratory is well equipped with state of art equipment including rapid tissue processors, paraffin embedders, automated microtomes, automated stainer, cryostats and multi-headed microscopes. All laboratory test results are available through the hospital intranet, as part of the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
We are committed to a rapid turn-around-time while providing the highest quality patient care.