- The Department of Emergency Medicine was started in July 1998, under the leadership of Dr. Mabel Vasnaik.
- It was one of the earliest few fully developed, modern emergency departments in the country.
- The primary mission of the department is to provide timely, efficient and guideline-based acute care to patients with emergencies of all specialties, including Medical, Surgical, Obstetric, Paediatric, Trauma and all other super and subspecialties.
- The department has been conducting a post-MBBS certificate course in emergency medicine since 2002, with an intake of 12 students per year. An MCI recognised MD Emergency Medicine course was begun in 2011.
- The department is an AHA-accredited international training centre for conducting Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support courses and these courses are conducted every month. An Emergency Medicine Technician course was started in 2015.
- We also conduct the Emergency Trauma Life Support course, developed by our own faculty.
- As a routine, the department functions 24/7/365 days to handle emergencies with well-trained, capable senior and junior staff available around the clock.
- An 8-bedded Intensive Care Unit is an integral part of the department where emergencies of all specialties are admitted and stabilised. It also helps to provide support for mass gatherings in our city, and disaster relief nationally and internationally.