Publications - Physiology
Publications by the Department.
Year : 2020
1. Kurien A, Sharma N, Marathe M, Joshi N, Selvam S, Devi S, Sambashivaiah S. Acute Effect of a Protein Supplement on Targeted Plasma Amino Acid Profile among Healthy Asian Indians: A randomized control trial. J Nutr Metab. 2020.
2. Bhattacharya S, Bhadra R, Schols AMWJ, Sambashivaiah S. Gut microbial dysbiosis as a limiting factor in the management of primary and secondary sarcopenia; an Asian Indian perspective. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2020.
3. Sinha S, Kurpad AV, Kuriyan R. Total energy expenditure (TEE) of young adults from urban South India: revisiting their daily energy requirement. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2020.
4. Mani C, Kochhar P, Ravikumar G, Dwarkanath P, Sheela CN, George S, Thomas A, Crasta J, Thomas T, Kurpad AV, Mukhopadhyay A.Placental expression of ENG, VEGF, and FLT: Gender-specific associations with maternal vitamin B12 status. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2020.
5. Finkelstein JL, Kurpad AV, Bose B, Thomas T, Srinivasan K, Duggan C. Anaemia and iron deficiency in pregnancy and adverse perinatal outcomes in Southern India.. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2020.
6. Devi S, Varkey A, Dharmar M, Holt RR, Allen LH, Sheshshayee MS, Preston T, Keen CL, Kurpad AV Amino Acid Digestibility of Extruded Chickpea and Yellow Pea Protein is high and Comparable in Moderately Stunted South Indian Children with Use of a Dual Stable Isotope Tracer Method. J Nutr. 2020.
7. Varkey A, Devi S, Mukhopadhyay A, Kamat NG, Pauline M, Dharmar M, Holt RR, Allen LH, Thomas T, Keen CL, Kurpad AV Metabolome and microbiome alterations related to short-term feeding of a micronutrient-fortified, high-quality legume protein-based food product to stunted school age children: A randomized controlled pilot trial.. Clin Nutr. 2020.
8. Kurpad AV, Thomas T. Protein Quality and its Food Source in the Diets of Young Indian Children. J Nutr. 2020.
9. Kochhar P, Manikandan C, Ravikumar G, Dwarkanath P, Sheela CN, George S, Thomas A, Crasta J, Thomas T, Kurpad AV, Mukhopadhyay A. Placental expression of leptin: fetal sex-independent relation with human placental growth. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2020.
10. India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative Child Mortality Collaborators. Subnational mapping of under-5 and neonatal mortality trends in India: the Global Burden of Disease Study 2000-17. Lancet. 2020.
11. Thankachan P, Bose B, Subramanian R, Koneri R, Kurpad AV. Fractional iron absorption from enteric-coated ferrous sulphate tablet. Indian J Med Res. 2020.
12. Srinivasan K, Thomas S, Anand S, Jayachandra M, Thomas T, Strand TA, Kurpad AV, Duggan CP.Vitamin B-12 Supplementation during Pregnancy and Early Lactation Does Not Affect Neurophysiologic Outcomes in Children Aged 6 Years. J Nutr. 2020.
13. Thomas S, Vigil E, Thomas T, Bellinger DC, Ramthal A, Kurpad AV, Duggan CP, Srinivasan K. Antenatal Depressive Symptoms and Neurodevelopment Outcomes in Children at 30 Months. A Study from South India. Front Psychiatry. 2020.
14. Chhajed R, Thomas T, Swaminathan S, Kurpad AV, Mani I. Association between mustard oil consumption and body mass index in India. Public Health Nutr. 2020.
15. Ghosh S, Kurpad AV, Sachdev HS, Thomas T. Inflammation correction in micronutrient deficiency with censored inflammatory biomarkers. Am. J Clin Nutr. 2020.
16. Ghosh S, Shivakumar N, Bandyopadhyay S, Sachdev HS, Kurpad AV, Thomas T. An uncertainty estimate of the prevalence of stunting in national surveys: the need for better precision. BMC Public Health. 2020.
17. Motswagole B, Jackson J, Kobue-Lekalake R, Maruapula S, Mongwaketse T, Kwape L, Thomas T, Swaminathan S, Kurpad AV, Jackson M. The Association of General and Central Obesity with Dietary Patterns and Socioeconomic Status in Adult Women in Botswana. J Obes. 2020.
18. Devi S, Pasanna RM, Shamshuddin Z, Bhat K, Sivadas A, Mandal AK, Kurpad AV. Measuring vitamin B-12 bioavailability with [13C]-cyanocobalamin in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2020.
19. Fredrick J, Vaz M. Cardiovascular Responses and Cardiac Work of Selected Daily Activities in Young Healthy Indian Participants. Complement Med Res. 2020.
20. Kinra S, Mallinson PAC, Cresswell JA, . Rel Bowen LJ, Lyngdoh T, Prabhakaran D, Reddy KS, Vaz M, Kurpad AV, Davey Smith G, Ben-Shlomo Y, Ebrahim S. Relative contribution of diet and physical activity to increased adiposity among rural to urban migrants in India: A cross-sectional study. PLoS Med. 2020.
21. The Eternal Grove - A garden of remembrance. Vaz M, Vaz M. Indian J Med Ethics. 2020.
22. Sivakumaran D, Jenum S, Vaz M, et al. Combining host-derived biomarkers with patient characteristics improves signature performance in predicting tuberculosis treatment outcomes. Commun Biol. 2020.
23. Timms O, Vaz M. The Student's Pledge - an oath of initiation for modern times. Indian J Med Ethics. 2020
24. Bekken GK, Ritz C, Selvam S, Jesuraj N, Hesseling AC, Doherty TM, Grewal HMS, Vaz M, Jenum S. Identification of subclinical tuberculosis in household contacts using exposure scores and contact investigations. BMC Infect Dis. 2020.
25. Nyblade L, Srinivasan K, Raj T, Oga EA, Heylen E, Mazur A, Devadass D, Steward WT, Pereira M, Ekstrand ML. HIV Transmission Worry Predicts Discrimination Intentions Among Nursing Students and Ward Staff in India. AIDS Behav. 2020.
26. Ekstrand ML, Raj T, Heylen E, Nyblade L, Devdass D, Pereira M, Mazur A, Srinivasan K. Reducing HIV stigma among healthcare providers in India using a partly tablet-administered intervention: the DriSti trial. AIDS Care. 2020.
27. Shanmugakani RK, Srinivasan B, Glesby MJ, Westblade LF, Cárdenas WB, Raj T, Erickson D, Mehta S.Current state of the art in rapid diagnostics for antimicrobial resistance. Lab Chip. 2020.
28. Bandyopadhyay S, Kuriyan R, Shivakumar N, Ghosh S, Ananthan R, Devi S, Kurpad AV. Metabolic Availability of Lysine in Milk and a Vegetarian Cereal-Legume Meal Determined by the Indicator Amino Acid Oxidation Method in Indian Men. J Nutr. 2020.
29. Ma J, Qiao Y, Zhao P, Li W, Katzmarzyk PT, Chaput JP, Fogelholm M, Kurian R, Lambert EV, Maher C, Maia J, Matsudo V, Olds T, Onywera V, Sarmiento OL, Standage M, Tremblay MS, Tudor-Locke C, Hu G; ISCOLE Research Group. Breastfeeding and childhood obesity: A 12-country study. Matern Child Nutr. 2020.
30. Sharma E, Vaidya N, Iyengar U, Zhang Y, Holla B, Purushottam M, Chakrabarti A, Fernandes GS, Heron J, Hickman M, Desrivieres S, Kartik K, Jacob P, Rangaswamy M, Bharath RD, Barker G, Orfanos DP, Ahuja C, Murthy P, Jain S, Varghese M, Jayarajan D, Kumar K, Thennarasu K, Basu D, Subodh BN, Kuriyan R, Kurpad SS, Kalyanram K, Krishnaveni G, Krishna M, Singh RL, Singh LR, Kalyanram K, Toledano M, Schumann G, Benegal VConsortium on Vulnerability to Externalizing Disorders and Addictions (cVEDA): A developmental cohort study protocol.; cVEDA Consortium. BMC Psychiatry. 2020.
31. Zhang Y, Vaidya N, Ivengar U, Sharma E, Holla B, Ahuja C, Barker B, Basu D, Bharath R, Chakrabarti A, Desrivières S, Elliot P, Fernandes G, Gourisankar A, Heron J, Hickman M, Jacob P, Jain S, Jayarajan D, Kalyanram K, Kartik K, Krishna M, Krishnaveni G, Kumar K, Kumaran K, Kuriyan R, Murthy P, Orfanos DP, Purushottam M, Rangaswamy M, Kurpad SS, Singh L, Singh R, Subodh BN, Thennarasu K, Toledano M, Varghese M, Benegal V, and Schumann G The Consortium on Vulnerability to Externalizing Disorders and Addictions (c-VEDA): an accelerated longitudinal cohort of children and adolescents in India.. Molecular Psychiatry. 2020
32. Holla B, Taylor PA, Glen DR, Lee JA, Vaidya N, Mehta UM, Venkatasubramanian G, Pal PK, Saini J, Rao NP, Ahuja CK, Kuriyan R, Krishna M, Basu D, Kalyanram K, Chakrabarti A, Orfanos DP, Barker GJ, Cox RW, Schumann G, Bharath RD, Benegal V.A series of five population-specific Indian brain templates and atlases spanning ages 6 to 60 years. Hum Brain Mapp. 2020.
33. Savitha D, Taniya A. Student perceptions of “doing” hematology physiology practicals. Adv Physiol Educ. 2020.
34. Sucharita S, Harridge SDR, Sharma N, Selvam S, Rohatgi P, Kurpad AV. Asian Indians with Prediabetes have Similar Skeletal Muscle Mass and Function to Those with Type 2 Diabetes. Front Nutr. 2020.
35. Bandyopadhyay S, Shivakumar N, Kurpad AV. Protein intakes of pregnant women and children in India-protein quality implications. Matern Child Nutr. 2020.Dec;16 Suppl 3(Suppl 3):e12952. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12952. PMID: 33347716; PMCID: PMC7752127.
36. Reddy GB, Pullakhandam R, Ghosh S, Boiroju NK, Tattari S, Laxmaiah A, Hemalatha R, Kapil U, Sachdev HS, Kurpad AV. Vitamin A deficiency among children younger than 5 y in India: an analysis of national data sets to reflect on the need for vitamin A supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr. 2020 Dec 16:nqaa314. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqaa314. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33330941.
37. Duggan CP, Kurpad A, Stanford FC, Sunguya B, Wells JC. Race, ethnicity, and racism in the nutrition literature: an update for 2020. Am J Clin Nutr. 2020 Dec 10;112(6):1409-1414. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqaa341. PMID: 33274358; PMCID: PMC7727473.
38. Thomas S, Vigil E, Thomas T, Bellinger DC, Ramthal A, Kurpad AV, Duggan CP, Srinivasan K. Antenatal Depressive Symptoms and Neurodevelopment Outcomes in Children at 30 Months. A Study From South India. Front Psychiatry. 2020 Sep24;11:486175. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2020.486175. PMID: 33192637; PMCID: PMC7541826.
39. Thomas T, Singh M, Swaminathan S, Kurpad AV. Age-related differences in height gain with dairy protein and micronutrient supplements in Indian primary school children. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2020;29(2):355-362. doi: 10.6133/apjcn.202007_29(2).0018. PMID: 32674243.
40. India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative CGF Collaborators. Mapping of variations in child stunting, wasting and underweight within the states of India: the Global Burden of Disease Study 2000-2017. E Clinical Medicine. 2020 May 13;22: 100317. doi:10.1016/j. eclinm. 2020.100317. PMID: 32510044; PMCID: PMC7264980.
41. Kuriyan R, Naqvi S, Bhat KG, Ghosh S, Rao S, Preston T, Sachdev HS, Kurpad AV. The Thin But Fat Phenotype is Uncommon at Birth in Indian Babies. J Nutr. 2020 Apr 1;150(4):826-832. doi: 10.1093/jn/nxz305. PMID: 31858112.
42. Bhavadharini B, Mohan V, Dehghan M, Rangarajan S, Swaminathan S, Rosengren A, Wielgosz A, Avezum A, Lopez-Jaramillo P, Lanas F, Dans AL, Yeates K, Poirier P, Chifamba J, Alhabib KF, Mohammadifard N, Zato?ska K, Khatib R, Vural Keskinler M, Wei L, Wang C, Liu X, Iqbal R, Yusuf R, Wentzel-Viljoen E, Yusufali A, Diaz R, Keat NK, Lakshmi PVM, Ismail N, Gupta R, Palileo-Villanueva LM, Sheridan P, Mente A, Yusuf S. White Rice Intake and Incident Diabetes: A Study of 132,373 Participants in 21 Countries. Diabetes Care. 2020 Nov;43(11):2643-2650. doi: 10.2337/dc19-2335. Epub 2020 Sep 1. PMID: 32873587.
43. de Souza RJ, Dehghan M, Mente A, Bangdiwala SI, Ahmed SH, Alhabib KF, Altuntas Y, Basiak-Rasa?a A, Dagenais GR, Diaz R, Amma LI, Kelishadi R, Khatib R, Lear SA, Lopez-Jaramillo P, Mohan V, Poirier P, Rangarajan S, Rosengren A, Ismail R, Swaminathan S, Wentzel-Viljoen E, Yeates K, Yusuf R, Teo KK, Anand SS, Yusuf S; PURE study investigators. Association of nut intake with risk factors, cardiovascular disease, and mortality in 16 countries from 5 continents: analysis from the Prospective Urban and Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2020 Jul 1;112(1):208-219. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqaa108.
44. Dehghan M, Mente A, Rangarajan S, Mohan V, Lear S, Swaminathan S, Wielgosz A, Seron P, Avezum A, Lopez-Jaramillo P, Turbide G, Chifamba J, AlHabib KF, Mohammadifard N, Szuba A, Khatib R, Altuntas Y, Liu X, Iqbal R, Rosengren A, Yusuf R, Smuts M, Yusufali A, Li N, Diaz R, Yusoff K, Kaur M, Soman B, Ismail N, Gupta R, Dans A, Sheridan P, Teo K, Anand SS, Yusuf S. Association of egg intake with blood lipids, cardiovascular disease, and mortality in 177,000 people in 50 countries. Am J Clin Nutr. 2020; 111:795-803.
45. Noor S, Dehghan M, Lear SA, Swaminathan S, Ibrahim Q, Rangarajan S, Punthakee Z. Relationship between diet and acculturation among South Asian children living in Canada. Appetite. 2020;147: 104524.