Services - Pathology
The Department of Pathology and Microbiology was initiated in 1966, fifty-one years ago by Prof. SN Kothare and Dr. John A Thomas. The Department functions to provide excellence in teaching, diagnostic services and research and is well recognised for its innovative approach towards providing accurate and timely diagnostic services in all facets of surgical & anatomic pathology and cytology to patients from Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
The department core strengths are:
The availability of superspeciality services under one roof.
Regular multidisciplinary team meetings held all through the month.
It is a referral centre for Hirschsprung disease diagnosis.
Apart from academic excellence, the Department aims to strengthen molecular pathology with trained man power, to enhance the efficiency of subspecialty branches under Pathology and also strives towards becoming a collaborative high impact research facility.
Ours is a NABL accredited laboratory since 2006. The Surgical Pathology Service provides complete diagnostic services in adult and paediatric Surgical Pathology. Approximately 13,000 surgical specimens originating from the St. John’s Medical College Hospital and other referring hospitals are accessioned yearly. Other services include
- Frozen Sections for rapid diagnosis including intra-operative consultations
- Cytopathology service provides a full range of cytology services, including exfoliative cytology and the performance of fine needle aspiration under guidance or freehand.
- Clinical Autopsy services
- Immunological serology tests for ANA, dsDNA, ANCA, Immunoline, Liver profile, Liver blot, Derm mosaic, APLA2R
- Immunofluorescence on renal and skin biopsies
- Immunohistochemistry with a panel of about 100 antibodies.
- Enzyme histochemistry studies for diagnosis of Hirschsprung’s disease.
The laboratory is well equipped with state of art equipment including rapid tissue processors, paraffin embedders, automated microtomes, automated stainer, cryostats and multi-headed microscopes. All laboratory test results are available through the hospital intranet, as part of the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
We are committed to a rapid turn-around-time while providing the highest quality patient care.
Home Collection (phlebotomy) Services
St. John’s Laboratory Services, St. John’s Medical College Hospital, has introduced Home Collection Service for laboratory samples in partnership with Diakart Healthcare Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- Call 8880638638 to book for a home collection.
- Share your OPD Hospital Number if available & the list of tests for which sample has to be collected.
- Tests are limited to most Blood and Urine tests.
- The registered mobile number and e-mail ID, will be the contact for all further communications.
Please note: Lab costs are the same as Hospital charges for OPD patients.
An additional charge per visit (irrespective of number of patients at home) applies as follows:
- INR 100 within 2.5 km radius
- INR 150: 2.5-5km radius
- INR 200: 5-7.5km radius
- Reports will be made available by email after authorisation.
- Credit or Staff Patients to make advance billing for the tests (before the day of specimen collection) to avail the concession/credit and provide the same to the phlebotomist.
- For any other clarifications please call the above-mentioned number