St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences (SJNAHS) is a self-financing private Institution. St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru established in 1963 by the CBCI with the aim of training healthcare personnel committed to serving the poor in the margins, was dedicated as a memorial of the XXXVIII International Eucharistic Congress held in Bombay in 1964 and named after St. John the Baptist, the Patron of Pope John XXIII, who was an ardent supporter of this initiative of the Catholic Church in India.
CBCI Office for Health Care was established in 1989 by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India to function as the coordinating body of all the health-related organizations of the Church in India.
St. John's National Academy of Health Sciences consists of:
A Medical College - counted as one of the best in the nation
A state of the art Hospital with 1350 beds for all medical and surgical departments including super-specialty departments
A top-class College of Nursing
A Research Institute - the first in a medical school - with the most modern facilities including a Biorepository
An Institute of Health Care Management and Paramedical Studies
Spread over 132 acres of verdant campus in the salubrious climate of the Garden City of Bengaluru, this institution stands testimony to the purpose for which it was established.